View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
I had to go to the library to find a copy of the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles since the AAFCO wants to charge people $108 for a copy of the book . The 2014 AAFCO Official Publication had this to say on vitamin K supplements for dogs:

"No minimum levels for biotin or vitamin K (or equivalent) were established, although the subcommittee would not object to their inclusion as ingredients in dog foods at trace levels."

I sure am glad that I didn't waste my money on that book!!! The AAFCO did not define what they meant by "trace levels." I guess we have to read our dog food labels and question the companies directly.

While I was at the library, I read the section on AAFCO feeding trials mentioned in another Yorkietalk thread. Very interesting stuff there--eight dogs are fed exclusively on the dog food being tested. Two dogs are allowed to drop out of the test for reasons not related to the testing. To pass the feeding test, the dogs must show no signs of nutrient deficiency or excess. Blood tests are taken before and after the feeding trial to assess health and liver function. Vet exams for general health are also performed. The dogs cannot lose more than 15% of their starting weight while they are in the feeding trial. There were more details, but since I was researching vitamin K, I didn't write them down...
In your opinion, are 8 dogs enough especially allowing for the fact that two can drop out?

Join today and remove this ad!