View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

This chewing is usually puppy (teething) behavior. My pup is about 6 months old now and chews a great deal less ----but, this doesn't mean he won't. So, I still keep a pretty good eye on him and still catch him once in a while chewing something he shouldn't.

I suppose if you pup is constantly chewing on your furniture (wood), you might as well try and find him some wood of his own. I really don't think this will hurt a pup. My dog has (without my knowing it) chew some wooden things to pieces without any problem.....pencils...a wicker basket ... etc. He just spits all the pieces out and keeps on chewing.

And - always discipline your pup for chewing on things he shouldn't. He needs to chew on his own things, not your furniture.

I had another dog that was eating my picnic table (one that my father made). I finally put some tobasco sauce on the area he was chewing. He chewed there one more time and then never again. I am sure now that if he ever even smells tobasco sauce, he'll go find something else to chew on.

And - no - it didn't really hurt him. I'm sure it burned some - but even moreso, it was definitely something he didn't like. Remember my husband used to put tobasco on everything he ate....he loved it.

And - remember also, that his chewing something with some tobasco sauce on it was only a "one time thing." He only needed to do it once to find out that he doesn't like tobasco sauce........or you can buy new furniture!

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!