View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Default Coyotees testing postive for rabies and another yorkie snatched!

Police in a New Jersey community are warning residents to be on alert after a coyote walked away from a home with a dog in its mouth last week.
Police in the Morris County township of Randolph say a homeowner let the pet Yorkie out at around 10 p.m. Tuesday and witnessed the coyote snatch the dog.

Neither of the animals has been seen since.
It's the latest coyote sighting in New Jersey. A man walking his dog was attacked earlier this month in Bergen County by a coyote that later tested positive for rabies. A second aggressive coyote was also found dead in a trap over the weekend; it was found non-rabid.
In nearby Saddle River, another rabid coyote attacked a man and his dog while he was working in the yard.
Coyotes have also been turning up more frequently in New York City.

Coyote Snatches Pet Yorkie in Mouth, Runs Away in New Jersey: Police | NBC New York

While the above if frightening regarding the poor Yorkie being snatched from it's yard I find the idea that coyotes in the article have tested positive for Rabies! This is why I am so opposed to relying on titer testing to asses immunity for vaccines or worse yet skipping then altogether with the current antivax movement.

I recently faced this situation with Doodlebug who has never had any core vaccines since puppyhood because he had worsening reactions to the DHPP. My vet said that he should not be further vaccinated because each time he was worse. I've been concerned regarding Distemper in the past since it can be carried by wild animals such as raccoons and foxes. But I'd never really given a second thought about Parvo. He is on a 3 year vaccine schedule for Rabies and has never had issues with that vaccine.

My daughter's friend got a new puppy that died within 48 hours after brining it home . When I asked what happened all she knew was she wasn't sure but the vet told the family that most puppies that get this illness died. She was there playing with the puppy before it was PTS (I didn't ask ) and then their older dog also died about a week later from Parvo because he was lacking in vaccines. The girl was at my house, Meg was there and I was VERY worried. I've
already had DBug at the vet where we discussed titer testing him to see if he has immunity and if he doesn't there will be a plan in place to vaccine to raise his immunity. We also discussed the antivax movement and certain vets that seems to be floating around on both YT and FB recently and how tittering for some cases like mine are of merit while others for Rabies are worthless because they are not accepted as a vaccine requirement.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!