View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
dandydaniel
Yorkie Talker

Default Introducing a new dog to the family

Hey YT family, long story short, I have a 5 year old biewer yorkie who is not fixed and is 5 pounds. I've raised her since she was 9 weeks old and she's been my spoiled little princess ever since. Lola (her name) is the first dog that I've ever been grateful to raise and let me tell you it's been a learning experience. She is a bit on the spoiled side still but we are trying to train her to be a bit more relaxed and mellow. She's toned down A LOT as she's aged and now she's a pretty mellow little dog.

Now here is the interesting part...

I just got engaged not too long ago and my fiancee and I have finally moved in together. Problem is, she has a 15 pound rescue mutt (Riley actually looks like a cross between a yorkie and a snouser) who was severely abused (physically) to the point where he yelps and flinches to just sudden arm or leg movements (past owner would really go to town on poor Riley). But beyond that, Riley is absolutely THE most loving dog that I have ever come across. He absolutely LOVES attention and will do anything to gain in. Problem is, Lola has the same exact personality. We have two CRAZY attention loving dogs. They've been together now for the past month and there hasn't been any fighting but there also is ZERO playing. Like literally, we have not once observed them playing together. The absolute most we will get is Riley sniffing Lola and that's about it. The only other time we get interaction is when Lola is barking at Riley for getting attention. If Lola even hears Riley's name, she will come storming out (even if she was sleeping) and continuously bark at Riley while he receives attention. But beyond this, like I said, the two dogs do absolutely nothing together. Riley is the more independent dog as Lola needs to sleep in the bed with us every night (I know, I know. but if you saw her, you wouldn't be able to say no either!) so I'm just assuming that Lola just has severe attachment issues. I was just hoping to find any information about maybe alleviating this situation!

Now I know this was an essay to read, but if anyone has any simple steps to maybe alleviate this tension, or any leads on ways to maybe fix this, it'd help a lot. Thanks in advance!
dandydaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!