View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Welcome to YT and congrats on the new baby! If I'm reading this correctly, he is 9 weeks today, so you got him at about 8 weeks. I will warn you that you may have an issue with his bite inhibition and socialization due to him being away from his mom and littermates at an early age. Yorkies learn a lot of their "manners" between 8-12 weeks of age and ideally shouldn't be taken from mom before then. However, every dog is different and it really depends on his personality. Some are very dependent, some independent. Hopefully your older one will take on the role model position and teach him his manners.

Uni is our first yorkie, though she is not the oldest one. Toto is almost 10 and we've had him for 2 years. He is still crated bc he is not 100% potty trained. He can't be trusted. When we aren't home he goes in the crate. Even when we are home we have parts of the house blocked off. You will know if this will be a lifelong thing or not with your new one. Uni on the other hand is like your Daisy. When she needs to go she will let me know. If we are gone and she needs to go she will go in the bathtub or hold it until we get home.

All that said, I would either decide now to crate train him, or not crate train him. Eventually he will stop crying. It is supposed to be like their apartment. Big enough for a bed and a pad, and food/water bowl. Or you can do a large ex pen or baby pen. Put the crate in there with his bed, and pad outside. And then toys or whatever so he will have more room. Pupies have been known to climb and escape ex pens though. So you would need a cover. Plus they take up much more room, which is why I am partial to crates vs ex pens.

If you neuter early, there is a chance that he will always squat to pee. It's not 100% but it happens. But don't neuter TOO early, then he may have retained baby teeth then he would have to be put under again to take those out, otherwise he'll end up with crooked/rotten teeth. My opinion is 8 months is ideal.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!