Thread: I need help!
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
JadeD
YT 1000 Club Member

He is afraid of being punished again. I also reward good behavior and re-direct/ignore bad behavior. My main thing is to distract from bad behavior. My Yorkie loves to tip over the trash can and get into the garbage. I try to not throw away "good stuff" until right before I take out the trash so there isn't anything good smelling in it to him.

I am sorry that you lost your temper with them dog. I find a firm no to be so much more effective than hitting if you must do something.

Keep loving on him. Maybe avoid playing rough until he trusts you again. Keep working with him on giving him treats for tricks. I would recommend praise, lots and lots of praise. Earn back his trust and affection.

Good luck and I am glad that you see that hitting didn't cause good. I can't imagine my Yorkie doing anything that would warrant being hit. If he has an accident in the house I clean it up, I don't even scold him. If he gets in the trash I clean it up and give him that look that says "I can't believe you did that!" If he steals my candy bar in the car (true story) I just say " I can't believe you ate a piece of my candy bar." and throw the rest of it away. By the way, you should never give a dog chocolate, mine stole it because I was careless and left it where he could get to it and luckily he only got a little bite of it.

If mine is being stubborn I just be more stubborn back at him. I am a Taurus though, stubborn is my speciality! LOL

Good luck and it will take time, but it will be worth it for both his sake and your girlfriend's too.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!