View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #26
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakind864 View Post
As I said.. fed my last little girl Royal Canin for 7 years, until she started throwing it up after eating it. The vet did some tests and she had early stage kidney problems. I'm not saying the kidney problems were from the RC- cuz we really don't know what the cause was. But, in her specific case, the RC was definitely not agreeing with her any longer. So she went to Hill K/D untl that started making her sick and she wouldn't eat it. Then the final years I just made her a Vet nutritionist approved homemade diet for kidneys.

My new puppy is on the Royal Canin puppy mix- and I free feed her that because she is a little nibbler ( just a few kibbles every 15 minutes or so- but not enough at one time to justify only allowing her 15 minutes. But even so-she seems really small and wasn't growing at all. ( She was 1 Lb 3 oz at 7 weeks and was only 1 lb 6 oz when I got her at 11.5 weeks. She stayed that same weight up until 14 weeks. (A week ago) Last friday- I started supplementing with Halo for Puppies and she's gained 2 oz in the last 8 days. She feels like a sturdy little dog now and has a waist without feeling so fragile. So I will keep the mix of both. But I have to admit-I do like the idea of Organic ( for her and me and my husband) And science is great( love that about Royal Canin) but have to admit I DO feel a bit of nervousness to see that term "By product" in a dog food....Even if they say it's the gizzards only rather than the waste other petfood companies use in regards to the term. When it comes to dog food I don't really trust anyone because I know there really aren't many standards and checks and balances out there to keep "corporations" looking for profit and bottom lines " Honest" when it comes to what is best for this little creature I love. When I read a list of ingredients it makes me cringe to hear a statement like "Dogs aren't people- they are dogs with different needs" If that is the case and all these pet food companies are correct in that...why is canine cancer up more than double what it was 40 years ago when most dogs got "Table scraps" rather than scientifically formulated kibbles? In fact why are ALL cancers up in people too for that matter with all the science advances? it's like the more we know...the more we learn we need to know.

Again.. not saying RC is bad...just that I don't think I 100% trust any commercial dog food. That fox guarding the hen house thing I guess. And my common sense tells me some of the ingredients I see used in RC are not "the best" "Gluten" anything makes me squirm. it's just a cheap plan based filler used to boost protein in dog food that would better be filled with actual meat proteins. ALso don't like seeing corn as an ingredient since it is of relatively low nutritional value to a dog. Soy REALLY makes me nervous as it can mess up hormones even in a fixed dog. And cellulose...waste of space in a dog food. No nutritional valise at all to a dog other than perhaps a little " Regularity" with the added fiber.

I may try some of the suggested kibbles that have ingredients I trust more...but like I said. Anything I feed this little girl is going to come with the approval of a nutritionist. It hurts too much to lose one. 12 years was not enough with my last little girl and I want to give Roxie the best chance at seeing 20 that I possibly can. I'm not afraid to spend a little money to get good advice and or on ingredients and a more expensive dog food. The bottom line is I want a happy healthy little fur baby as we all do.

I just thought the list might be of interest to some of the YT members. It was interesting to me at least. and looked like a good place to start. TO be honest the " Dried egg" product that got RC put on the "not recommended" list doesn't bother me so much as some of the ingredients I listed that weren't mentioned. I think eggs are good for little doggies in moderation. There are just so many variables it's hard to figure out what the best route is. I'm just doing the best I can like everyone else.

Thank you so much to all of you who comment. Even if you are playing devils advocate. it makes one stop and think and you DO bring up very valid points.
Unless you went to school for vet nutrition you don't know what a dog needs and it is not the same as what humans need because our body's are different. There are many doctors who say if you are not having bad reactions to gluten going gluten free can be bad for you. Royal canines prescription food saved and made my dogs life massively better much better then any of those limited ingredient holistic company's. In the end I am going to trust my vet and vet nutritionists over just someone's opinion. I just hope everyone knows to do that.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!