View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColesMommy01 View Post
Technically the next set of shots will be his fourth, no? Personally, I wouldn't get another set until 14-16 weeks. I only do core vaccines (DHPP). Your pup has followed the same vaccination schedule as I have excluding the 6 week. She's had shots at 8 weeks, 10 weeks, and will go back for her third between 14-16. Immunity garnered from the dam can taper beginning at 8 weeks but vets do 3 sets of shots to hit the window when there is no more immunity from the mother. Please do not get the rabies in conjunction with any other vaccines, get it as a standalone shot at least a month after the DHPP. I always do rabies at 6 months, then I'm done for the next three years excluding the booster of DHPP my dogs receive when they turn 1. I don't have my vet administer corona or lepto since it's not a problem in my area as well as being a clause in my contract not to get(lepto). I would take your breeder's advice in regards to not administering those particular vaccines, but if you decide to give them as a standalone like rabies. Your vet works for YOU, you decide what's best for your puppy and if the vet has a problem with it, I'd find another more accommodating vet who listens to me.

I do 8, 11, 14 weeks, rabies at 6-8 months depending on the size of the pup. I dont recommend lepto as it is not an issue in my area, and it is risky for small dogs, my vet doesnt recommend it to her patients....premedicate with Benadryl injection in the office, wait 20 minutes, give the lepto, then hang around the vet office for another 20-30 minutes to be sure the pup is not going to have an anaphyllactic reaction to it. I recommend bordatella injectable, not the nasal....the nasal is live virus and can often give the disease to the pup.....and it can take months to clear it up, plus $$$$ for antibiotics to prevent/treat pneumonia, breathing meds, etc.

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 04-24-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!