View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
BrilliantHijinx
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Hello - Is my dog a Silky or a Yorkie?

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to this forum and to the Yorkie world in general.

Here is a little info. I have had many dogs throughout my life. After my Rottweiler passed away this past summer I knew I needed another dog. However due to where I am currently living I couldn't get a big dog again.

After lots and lots of research I decided that of all the small breeds I really liked Yorkies and I started looking at rescues and shelters first. In September I found my Alonzo (the guy in my profile picture.) I adopted him from a small dog shelter in FL, and they said he was a pure breed Yorkie.

However when I took him to his second grooming the groomer told me that she was convinced he was actually a Silky!! I had never heard of Silkies but I was taking Alonzo to the vet anyway for his Rabies shot so I thought I'd ask what she thought. The vet said it is entirely possible for Alonzo to be a Silky terrier.

I've done a lot of research on the internet but I still can't make up my mind. People very often come up to me in public to ask if Lonzo is a Silky and I tell them I think so but I honestly don't know for sure.

Alonzo is around 2 and a half years old. He is 11.4 lbs, and about 23 inches in length from the tips of his cropped tail to his nose. His coat is very silvery, and though I like to keep it short when it grows out it gets very curly. His ears seem to be larger than his head and they are triangular in shape. He has very long legs that he uses to jump up to three or four times his height!!

Personality wise I'd say he has qualities of both breeds! So I was wondering what you guys thought, do you think I have a Silky terrier or a Yorkie?
Attached Thumbnails
Hello - Is my dog a Silky or a Yorkie?-img_0975.jpg-edit.jpg   Hello - Is my dog a Silky or a Yorkie?-img_0525.jpg-edit.jpg   Hello - Is my dog a Silky or a Yorkie?-20140921_195239.jpg   Hello - Is my dog a Silky or a Yorkie?-img_0851.jpg-edit.jpg  
BrilliantHijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!