View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
JadeD
YT 1000 Club Member

I got a 9 year old Yorkie in January who could barely walk to the end of our block and back. I started going around the block after a bit, but cutting back through our neighbors yard behind us, then going the longer way around the block and doing that. Then around the block. This was over the course of a month. Now, over 3 months later he will walk a mile with me. It is a slow pace, but we do it. If he acts tired I pick him up (rarely). We will be going hiking this summer and at this point, I think he might do better than me. I do have a carrier I can put him in if he gets tired hiking though. I just watch how he is doing and pick him up if I think he needs it. He went from not being walked (before I got him) to walking quite a bit and I love it.

In the summer I take my dogs to a walking trail that is mostly shaded to walk on, but I let them walk through the grass and dirt next to the trail most of it so they aren't walking on the concrete path as much. Our big dog has a 30 foot lead so when we go down there I can switch to that one and let him swim in the river that the path follows.

I say let them walk if they want to, it is good for them. Sometimes we just go out in the yard and wander around it for 30 minutes just to be outside.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!