View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #151
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

I just want to say that I would never not use conventional medicine for my pups. I have had so many different conditions over the years with my own pups and also my fosters and I have never been let down by conventional medicine. The vets I use only suggest what is tested and proven to be successful...they do not use or suggest anything that is not proven to work for whatever condition we are dealing with. There is not a snowball's chance in that hot place down under that I would risk them to treatments that sound good but have no real proven track record.

I have seen so much on the internet about holistic cures for heartworms for instance that are not proven to work. People let their fears of the conventional treatment put their pups at risk with unproven treatments. Any medicine and/or treatment has risks and that goes for holistic ones. The problem with the later is that there isn't the proof of the success and not the same information that is given with the standard ones. People are given the list of side effects for one and not the other and that in my opinion is the problem. I am happy that the FDA is considering overseeing this. Cannot come soon enough.

I have two pups with lymphangectasia and one with protein losing nephropathy. Basically, diet is key in lymphangectasia, but often they need medications...prednisone being one. My Cookie was on prednisone for a very long time...about two years. She needed it! They gave it and tapered it as soon as they could and monitored her closely. No harm done. She is alive and well now and it is 3.5 years after diagnosis. Would herbs have worked? who knows? But the bottom line I would not try to find out since I know the other treatment works. Not ever going to take such chances with my babies. My Olivia is on two blood pressure meds, Ursodiol for her gall bladder and a restricted diet for her PLN and she is doing great! For some time she was on denamarin for her liver. As I said, I believe in mixed treatments, but not substitutes.

I won't take such chances with my own health either. Steve Jobs did that and we all know what happened to him. He later regretted making the choice to go holistic.

I am not saying that there are not some holistic methods that may have some use. I am just saying that I don't believe they should be used as a substitute for what is tested and proven.

Last edited by ladyjane; 04-20-2015 at 05:53 PM.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!