View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
MybunDleOfJoy
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn27 View Post
From what you are describing it is normal behavior. They are in play mode and of course with your new pup that means biting but that can be corrected. The sniffing of one another is perfectly normal. Its their way of familiarizing themselves and its how they recognize one another. Dogs work highly on their scent so that is very normal.

My guess is that your older one stays in her pen in order to get some peace and rest form you younger more energetic pup and to avoid the biting. So you will want to put a stop to that asap. I would suggest since you new pup needs to get plenty of rest that you put him in his cage after a good play session and if he gets too nippy. You will want to get the biting instinct under control. Its wont be easy and it will take time but totally doable. I use the shaker can along with very stern vocal commands. You have to be in control, he will not respond to a soft vocal command, you have to be the pack leader.

I have been training max a lot constantly repeating sessions with him and mia in the same room , and indeed he has learned something because he listens spontaneously during the sessions. however, my worry mostly is mia, because shes not playing the dominance role here. She more like defenseless, when he runs after her is growling and barking at her trying to bite her and there has been a few times where mia yelps that's when I notice he bit her. I would love it if mia actually confronts back but she doesn't she just barks at her when shes over exited/dehydrated from running away from him. If mia would play the dominance role, she would be able to teach him that biting isn't right. what do I do in this case?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!