View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #32
GreenwoodBiewer
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1975 View Post
I can respect that you like a different yorkie even if I disagree.
Besides, this is how all new breeds begun.
But I am really curious to know why don't you try to have these dogs recognized as a different breed?
Mike..
Although my "call or Kennel" name is Greenwood Biewers, I no longer breed Biewers as I was not happy with the health of the Biewer .. I believe they were far to in bred and had many issues I just could not feel comfortable breeding. My focus is on the AKC lines, either Parti or other off colored varieties.. just wanted to get that out there..

In answer to your question above about why not trying to get these dogs recognized as a different breed.. the simple fact is that they are not a different breed. How could they be recognized as a separate and distinct breed when ALL that they are is yorkshire terrier? They come strictly from yorkies (we believe), the DNA and pedigrees attest to this point.. we can't make them into another breed.. they simply are a color variation of the yorkshire terrier. Unfortunately, AKC does not accept color variations as a "breed" and they have already BEEN accepted as a yorkie by AKC and can register as such. It is only the YTCA that doesn't accept them. That's the rub.. they just can't be something they are not.. wish it could be so..I'd do it in an instant!

The BTCA (Biewer Terrier Club of America) is attempting to do that very same thing with the Biewer. They are "saying" that the Biewer is a mixture of other breeds.. thus, they can say that they are a separate and distinct breed.. they have been accepted, at present, into the FSS.. Many in the Biewer Community do not go along with this "theory" nor does history support it. Most believe the Biewer is a yorkshire terrier. The YTCA of course supports the work of the BTCA because they want the Biewer to be as far away from the yorkie as possible.. likewise, they believe, what goes for the Biewer, will go for the parti.

I certainly wish there was an easy answer to this, but I just don't see it.

Diana
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!