View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #31
Mike1975
Senior Yorkie Talker

Thank you Gemy, SirTeddykins and 107barney for your support to OUR breed. I really appreciate it.

Dianna, I really appreciate your input and most of all for respecting our breed and its "traditional" colors. It is also nice to see that you keep this conversation's level high. This is the only way people can communicate even if they disagree.

My belief is that an off standard purebred yorkie IS a YORKSHIRE TERRIER.
Purebred means that it is descended from purebred parents.

This includes ALL purebred yorkies with undesirable traits - even color.
So, it is incorrect to claim that a droped ear yorkie i.e. is not a yorkie because it does not conform to the written standard.
It is incorrect to claim that a yorkie with a roached back, or too light in color, or with a cottony texture, is not a yorkie.
In other words it is incorrect to claim that a PET yorkie is not a YORKIE.
That said, a biewer may very well be considered "purebred" as long as it is descended from PUREBRED parents.

But that alone means nothing.

Purity of blood does not guarantee standard compliance. Nor does DNA testing.

The goal is to collect all desirable traits in one animal. Of course this is impossible, but that is why breeding is such a fascinating hobby.

Breeding traits that WE like but are opposed to the standard, is in conflict with the common goal : perfection in accordance to the written standard.
The creation of the ideal animal, that never did and never will exist.
This striving for perfection kept OUR breed alive till our days and of course popularity helped, which works both ways and its a bit risky.

I can respect that you like a different yorkie even if I disagree.
Besides, this is how all new breeds begun.
But I am really curious to know why don't you try to have these dogs recognized as a different breed?
Mike1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!