View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
JadeD
YT 1000 Club Member

I took Teek on his first vacation with me and he was staying in a house with me where I was dog/house sitting for a friend. He was terrified of the other dogs!

We have an 80 lb setter and he is used to him. They adjusted to each other really quickly, like 2 day. I still watch them after 3 months when they are together but they don't have problems. My friend has a very sweet, quiet and gentle rottweiler mix and Teek saw and hid behind me. The dog didn't do anything to him. They also have a Yorkie and he is about 1 year old and just wanted to sniff Teek's butt the entire time which upset Teek. They also have a mama dog and 5 puppies but they were in a bedroom.

I kept Teek in a separate area of the house that was gated off. Their dogs are not allowed in that area as they may pee/poop on the floor and steal toys (it is a play area). I put Teek's crate in there and his food and water and he was very happy to stay in the back room where it was quieter and gated off from the other dogs. He did much better than when I tried to have him running around the house with them. I just let him outside separately from the other dogs.

Maybe you can keep your dog in a separate room unless she is on your lap while you are visiting? I know Teek was lonely at times, but at least he was still with me and not boarded somewhere and kept in a cage. He had most of a room to be in and his crate was there with his blankets so he had something from home. I slept on a couch in that room with him at night so he was snuggled with me all night and I would go sit back there when I could (we were in/out a lot). He did pretty good like that so maybe keeping her separate from the little kids will be best while they are there.

Good luck. I know how hard it is. I hate to board my animals so I have a friend come watch them if they can't go with me. I also watch a lot of my friend's dogs at my house when they go away so their animals don't have to be boarded.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!