View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 AM   #15
Zoey Zendaya
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTeddykins View Post
What a great pic for this post!!! Love it!

Teddy is obsessed with birds and tries to chase them when they are flying in the sky at 30,000 ft. I agree that you should attempt to train but don't feel too disheartened if those attempts do not work in the way you expect they should. Yorkies are terriers and terriers chase/dig and lots of other annoying and potentially dangerous things. We kinda have to accept their nature and, in doing so, prevent them from harm by using training and leashes.

I used a trainer who encouraged me to let Teddy run free and I will never make that mistake again. Although he was good with recall up until that point, he developed a crush on a puppy schnauzer and chased her as she left the park. Unfortunately, although the park was huge, Teddy chased her even when she was out of sight and had it not been for some very speedy legs (not mine) who caught up with Teddy who was running free with an attached leash - well, he would have been dead because he ran right out to the road.

Kinda depressing to think about but I'm glad that I was fortunate enough to have a second chance. Teddy gets no more chances, crazy boy!

My experience is my experience, so may not be applicable to all, but just something to think about..

Have to go, now. It's nearly 6 a.m. here and the birds have awoken Sir Teddykins!
Oh I totally get that...and every yorkie is different. I try to work on extreme behaviors like excessive panic barking....plus we have exercise pen fencing we place outside front and back door so when I open the door she jumps right in, so that contains her, plus fencing around both small patio areas....so they are "free" but not to the trees....but that didn't mean zoey didn't see them! So I had the long cold ,inside the house , winter to work on her here....

I also was too trusting ( and ignorant) with my first yorkie 40 years ago, Tish..
Having a huge front yard I just opened the front door , she jumps out to pee, then jumps back in.....till one day I opened the door and it was like it was meant to happen.....she bolted out the door and ran as fast as she could to the distant road ...and got hit by a car instantly...no trees around ...don't know what she saw....

I know not to chances with my new baby also...she's flighty. Not a crack does she get when going out .
If zoey goes on a rant I say" ok ...I see it ...that's enough" and she stops......IF they're at a distance....we're everyday instilling obedience training for the ups and mailman
Attached Thumbnails
Squirrels!!!!!!!!!!-imagejpg3_zpsfe4c4e96.jpg  
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!