View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 AM   #14
Scoobstersmom
YT Addict

I used to have a sort of negative opinion about rescues too. In my limited viewpoint of rescues, they picked up these free, unwanted dogs and then turned around and sold them for big bucks, and were pretty darn picky about who got to pay for and adopt the dogs. My opinion has changed drastically and I now have the utmost respect.

I saved/rescued a fat little teapot yorkie six months ago. After the heart breaking loss of my 16 year old yorkie in the fall, I was at the county shelter dropping off some leftover food and supplies. A couple parked their car next to mine, got out of the car and were there to surrender their dog - a 12 pound two year old yorkie boy. They wanted a small dog and he had grown to be too big. We got to talking in the parking lot and next thing I knew, he was in the backseat of my car. This little guy had lived for the last several months in their backyard. He was matted, full of ticks, both ears were infected, he was not neutered, not house trained, marked like a water faucet and had not had any vet care. Over the next three months, I spent well over $1500 on this little guy. With blood work, treating him for the ticks, clearing up the ear infections, getting him neutered and a dental. It took months of diligent training and wearing a belly band before he learned some inside manners. He is not exactly a quality specimen of the breed. He's got floppy ears, is oversized at 12-13 pounds, has a long body and short legs, and definitely does not have a show coat. But this little guy is so worth the trouble and money spent.

However, had he actually made his way into the shelter, I am sure he would have been picked up by a rescue. They would have covered his health needs, had him neutered, the dental, the shots, taught him some manners and spent that same $1500 on him. And then he would have been adopted out for a few hundred dollars. Kudos to the rescues for what they do!

Diana
Scoobstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!