View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
asutterfield
Yorkie Talker

Default 6 week baby won't eat puppy food and other issues...

Hi I'm not sure if this is right forum or what but I have some questions concerning a 6 week old yorkie pup. He is not interested in puppy food and have been feeding him formula last few days cause noticed mom was not caring for him anymore. This morning I found him limp and lethargic. It was saddest thing I've seen. So lifeless. I immediately went and got honey and forced him to take it. He was so weak. After a bit he came back around. I also gave him formula at that time. I went to vet to buy more formula but the lady at desk said he shouldn't be taking milk at this time. I'm not convinced she knew what she was talking about as she also said it was ok to give yorkie pups away at 5-6 weeks when I told her this pup only weighs like 10 ounces. I know my yorkies were all around 12 weeks before they were sold to me and I was under the impression they needed momma until around then. Maybe I'm wrong. I then immediately thought of you guys. I know I will be getting correct information from you guys. I'm already worried about this pup because he was the accidental offspring of inbreeding. Mom was only 7 months old and I never noticed her go into heat. I didn't think she could even get pregnant yet. I planned on having her fixed. I feel awful about it but it is what it is and the little one is here now. So I guess I have questions about inbred dogs as well. It was father and daughter. I feel like worst dog mommy in the world. I had no idea she was even pregnant till she was in labor pushing. Anyways, when should a tiny yorkie be weaned? Should I continue giving formula to the little fella? I'm going to keep trying with the dog food. I have some soaking in some water and I squirted some formula in it too. If I continue to feed formula, how long should I? Is it common that a pup need to go past 6 weeks on formula or milk? I love him so much and want him to be healthy. I'm so scared. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
asutterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!