View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
yorkiemini
Donating YT 500 Club Member

When I got my Cali she was being shown and doing very well -- however, the very very very experience breeder who was showing her was feeling like she was not going to "make weight". To this experience breeder who will not breed any female Yorkie under 5 pounds that Cali was probably, in her estimation, not going to make the 5 pounds. My breeder, who shows her dogs, only breeds for the betterment of the breed and to get her next champion.

Flash forward -- indeed this experience lady was correct. Cali is not five pounds, in fact she has barely even made 4 pounds. I take my hat off the this experience person for getting that right. So at 10 months Cali came to own me -- I wanted a show quality Yorkie (having previous had a fairly well breed Yorkie who hD had some health problems And lived to be -1 years old). Obedience and agility Are my interests. Don't have the knowledge to breed.

But hear is what I learned. When Cali's show dog momma sold her to me she gave me a 3 ring binder of all her testing, showing, vet visits and developmental growth. It was at least 2" thick And included great stuff about Yorkies that I did not know. When I looked at all the tests, geniology, DNA.....and on and on, it dawned on me -- she did not make any money on selling me this perfect little pup because she had spent a fortune on being sure she knew exactly whT she was breeding.

I still see this lady at dogs shows and think she is great - picky but great - And I have the best dog ever. She was used to being groomed and shown and had the best temperament and socialization!

Did I know then that I was getting all that -- not at all! I know now, of course. And as I take the confirmation course now at my local AKC club I have been asked to help a local breeder to show one or two of her pups with her mentorship. Cali still participates in agility, and I continue to learn, but I doubt I will ever breed

Last edited by yorkiemini; 04-12-2015 at 09:13 AM.
yorkiemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!