View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Here is a copy and paste from another thread about a Yorkie and a Chihuhua that you might read and adapt in some way to help your little aggressor:

Best to teach your little aggressor he's not in charge of the chihuahua, you are, by stepping in and stopping his bad behavior by watching him like a hawk and anytime he focuses in on, alerts to or goes very still and glares at or begins to approach the chi with ears and tail up, you stop him right then. Immediately jump up, firmly saying, "Leave it!", pointing/clapping and then pointing and glaring at him as you quickly walk into his personal space and back him off, standing there glaring and pointing over him until he softens, gives up and walks away. The moment he leaves, you sit down, all is over. This teaches him that giving up on his attitude stops all tension of the situation and it's over. In time, he'll learn to go into submission faster to ease the situation and stress of the moment.

If you are too late, step in and break up the fight with a firm, loud, "Leave it!" and stand the attacker down by walking into his space, backing him away, glaring and pointing at him and standing your ground until he softens, gives up and leaves the area. The moment he relaxes, you do. That's his signal to relax sooner - the moment he relaxes and softens, you let up and back off, still watching him but backing off now that he's lost his aggression.

Pack leaders often stare their pack members into submission by just not moving and giving them the old steady, meaningful glare until the pack member stops the unwanted behavior. I add the outstretched arm and finger-point and the words "leave it" when a dog is about to act up with another dog or get into something he shouldn't. If he's about to misbehave, I walk into his space and stand him down until he gives up. I do this every time he acts like he's about or wants to offend and sooner rather than later, the dog learns I, not he, is in control and begins to police his own behavior that he thinks might bring me in.

I never yell or hurt, scare him - just take confident control and send him away from the area by displacing him. And I watch him as dogs trying to bully another dog often wait just a second and go right back at it until they have learned it's totally hopeless. So be prepared to need to go at this for at least 2 weeks and anytime the offense recurs.

So you will need to repeat this process more than a few times to instill the lesson that you are the pack leader in your little family pack into your little leader wannabe. Be firm, confident but gentle.

Starting your little tough guy on the Nothing In Life Is Free program, life enrichment activities with him such as foraging games and toys, obedience training for 3-5 mins. 2-3 x daily and reading Tamar Geller's The Loved Dog will also give you more tools for handling your dog than you will likely need but you'll be a much better dog handler afterwards - and your dog will love it all. They do get totally into NILIF and obedience training when you keep it short, frequent and fun.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!