View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
oneofakind864
Senior Yorkie Talker

I used cheerios or those organice "puffs" you find in the baby food aisle. No sugar or salt added and very low in calories.

With the cheerios we would put a piece of doggie jerky in a sealed jar with the cheerios so it smelled like jerky and she went NUTZ for them. We didn't feed her the doggie jerkey because it was loaded with salt and she had kidney problems.

but that allowed us to give her 40 or 50 treats a day for doing tricks and potty time and that came out to less than 25 calories per day for treats,

As a special treat when she was younger- I would buy a cut of beef ( any kind) and dice into small pieces. Bake on a rimmed cookie sheet at 250 for an hour or 2. As the fat comes out of the beef soak it up with paper towels. Cook until crunchy on the outside with the barest amount of give in the center. Once the treats cool- they will be hard little " beef crunchies" you can store in a ziplock bag in the fridge pretty much indefinitely ( or as long as it takes you to go through them all)

She also like garbanzo beans done in a similar manner ( so do i-LOL) Empty the can- drain and rinse well...toss with a bit of olive oil and bake at 300 until golden and crunchy. YUMMMMM! ( for both of us!) **these are not good for doggies on kidney diet because all canned goods have added salt. But for regular doggies..they will love them.

Last edited by oneofakind864; 04-02-2015 at 12:16 AM.
oneofakind864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!