View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 04:02 AM   #4
DBlain
Donating YT Addict

I would do two crates but keep them side by side and also feed them out of two different bowls and here are my reasons why. I free fed my first pup and continued to do so for a good year after I got a second puppy. But then I realized the older one was getting fat and the younger one was too skinny, so then I had to go to two bowls on opposite sides of the room twice a day, I had to stand there and watch them eat, this took some time for them to get used to. Even after 8 years or so they still wanted to see what the other had even though it was the same food. So if I was you I would get them used to their own bowls right out of the gate. This will help down the road if one should have any type of food intolerance. Crating together could also cause different problems, one might poop or throw up and they other one might eat it, aggression could pop up out of the blue and so forth. Also excessive licking can be a problem. My younger dog had a tendency to get yeast infections if his ears were not kept very dry, well of course my older one seemed to sense that and she would spend hours licking his eyes and ears, (which the younger one seemed to enjoy) I would come home after a few hours and see his face and ears just soaking wet, then I realized what was happening, so at that point I really had no choice, but since they were used to one crate it did take some getting used to. While two dogs are fun and it was so cute to see them cuddle up with each other, it does present some challenges so it will be an adjustment period for you to see what works best. Also if your older one is housebroken and you are trying to train the puppy but he has accidents don't be surprised if your older one regresses a little, but on the flip side many say it's easier to house break the puppy since they follow the lead of the older one. Good luck and we need pictures!

Last edited by DBlain; 04-01-2015 at 04:05 AM.
DBlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!