View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Default sounds like you are off to a great start

I always stick with the core vaccines only and never ever give Lepto. As a very small breeder who has very few litters, I make sure the mother is recently immunized prior to breeding and hold off until 9 or 10 weeks for their first vaccine so my puppies do not get as many as most. This is a highly risky practice so I do not advise it for most since you have to be extremely vigilant not to expose the puppies and you also have to have moms that nurse for an extended period.

If you do not start the heartworm meds by I believe 4 months or maybe 6 months, they have to have a blood test to confirm they do not have heartworm before they can begin the medicine. Prior to that time any heartworms he could have would be in the larvae stage and not cause any problem dying off when the medicine is given. I would wait until just before your vet says he does not have to be blood tested and begin then and save him the pain and you the cost. Also heartguard and sentinel (covers more parasites and sentinel spectrum covers tapeworms) cover other parasites like roundworms, etc. which can be helpful in a new puppy.

As far as flea and tick, I have never seen either on any of my dogs so I don't do any treatment so can't help you there. If you have fleas/ticks in your area they can be a danger even this early on - swallowing a flea in grooming leads to tapeworms - getting bit by a tick can lead to lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and others.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!