View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #21
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakind864 View Post
I made the choice, after my dog had a horrible reaction to the rabies vaccination and under the direction of a vet not to give her the shot again. I went to the second vet because I " Knew" something was not right and the first one insisted he had no idea what could have caused all the trouble. I sought out one who had experience the same thing happening to more than one dog under his care and who knew immediately what the problem was and who also offered a suggestion as to what a solution could be. As he was willing to put it in writing (as were 4 additional vets in the area through the next 12 years) I doubt that what they were doing would be considered illegal because it WOULD be foolish to risk their vet license if it were. But I honestly don't know because I am not a vet. All I know is I was given a waiver and told that with that letter- it was OK not to give my dog the rabies shot again..so I did not break any laws (at least not in CA as far as I know)

When I tried to show the letter to the "City of San Carlos" which is different from the COUNTY of San Mateo- they couldn't get that it could endanger my dog's life to get another shot. It IS an unusual circumstance and one they had never dealt with previously( so the didn't have provisions to handle it). After trying to communicate with them that this was a special circumstance-and it was also vet suggested and approved IN WRITING- I resorted ( In a fit of frustrated sarcasm) to telling them "I no longer had my dog" because they didn't care if the shot could endanger my dog or not. All they wanted was their i's dotted and their t's crossed. And truly...even though I do feel somewhat attacked by you- I was not trying to disturb anyone or to offend. I was simply trying to help Izzy's Mom who was asking if any of us had ever seen or experienced something similar to what Izzy was going through. My dog did have very similar symptoms.

And not once..in the entire 12 years of her life did Chanel ever "Hit the ground" outside when I wasn't right there with her on a leash. If a dog I wasn't familiar with came near- I picked her up and left. So there was NO chance of her getting rabies. And yes once when I was walking her on a leash, a hawk swooped down like it was going to try and pick her up and I stepped in between her and the bird. The bird re-thought it's menu plans. But had it not, I was fully prepared to defend my dog with my bare hands at the hawks expense.( legal or not- And had it come down to it I would have served jail time gladly if killing a hawk was what it took to save my little girl!) So with my dog as with yours, there was also NO chance of a hawk getting her without going through me.

And thank god reactions to the rabies vaccine are NOT common. But I think Izzy's mom needs to be aware that it "COULD" be something to be concerned about. It WAS with my dog. Wouldn't you feel awful if you told her to turn a blind eye because it was nothing and the next shot killed Izzy?

And YOU obviously have a problem with anyone who has a differing opinion or set of experiences than yours. And I truly regret that. I have seen people jump all over others on this site for minor things. But isn't this site to bring together all the best information possible in all things regarding our dogs? After the first vet acted so clueless I learned to do my own homework. I have done HOURS of research during my dogs life and spend 1000's on vet bills through fighting kidney disease for the last 5 years of her life. I could write books on diets for dogs dealing with kidney problems. My dog was not only under the supervision of a vet at all times- she was also under a canine opthamologist for the last 3 years of her life, she had a transfusion because of anemia brought on by the low protein diet required for kidney disease. I took extremely good care of her for her entire life and I learned a LOT. One of those experiences I believed could possibly be of interest to Izzy's mom so I posted it. I am very sorry if you disagree with the way I handled my dogs rabies treatment or the advice I offered. I got the best information I could from the most qualified vets around and made what I considered the best choice for my dog. My breeder ALSO supported my decision. None of us are perfect but I can honestly say I did my best based on what I knew at the time. And while I hope YOU are correct and Izzy will be just fine and able to get his next rabies vaccination with no trouble. If I were Izzy's Mom I would appreciate knowing there was someone out there like me, who has gone through the same worries and symptoms who wasn't afraid to take the time to share the POSSIBILITY that it might be something to be worried about.

But don't ever insinuate that I didn't take care of my dog. My vet literally told me that if I needed a reference he would be more than willing to let them know (His words) "That I am the best doggie mom he has seen in 17 years of practice" I have also fostered " Special needs tinies" for agencies here in California. I'm not ignorant or irresponsible. We'll have to agree to disagree on whether Izzy's mom should ignore the lump. And that is FINE by me. It is Izzy's mom's call to make after reading all the information she can to make an educated decision- but I'll bet she is glad I posted. If it were me I would have been grateful when it happened to me 12 years ago.

I have spent enough time stating my point of view and provided links to back it up. There is no need to be insulting.
My responses to the above red and bolded comments, in order:

1) Waivers are not illegal. What I said is illegal is splitting rabies vaccines and giving a lesser amount. Not only is it illegal, it is not even useful. In your research surely you have read how the vaccine works?? I would be shocked to see a vet put THAT in writing......it is wrong AND ILLEGAL. Case closed on this.

2) I commented because you said this about the lie you told the people:
" I finally ended up telling them she died ( Evil grin- due to complications with the rabies vaccination and I called them a few choice names!" Nothing to grin about imho. That's all.

3) I am not even going to argue this with you. The OP needs to listen to her licensed vet ... or if she wants, get a second opinion. Would I feel badly ? Sure I would but this is NOT anywhere close to an anyphylactic reaction. AND, this is an online forum. No one here is a vet and all we do is offer our experiences. I have had MANY pups over the years with localized reactions to all injections. I have also had pups who had little round quarter sized bald spots from rabies injections who had other vaccinations later without any issues at all. I am not into only "tines" as you are, I love all of them....my one "tiny" has a bald spot presumably from a past rabies vaccine and I still had him vaccinated. He is fine. As for infections at the site of an injection, it very well could be from poor technique of the person giving that injection.

4. I don't have a problem with people having different opinions. In my humble opinion, you are the one with a problem right now. You have stated your opinions and I have stated mine...I have not once said that what you are saying is personal. You however are taking all of this very personal...AND you said we are all on our "high horses" because we stated our opinions.

5) To avoid having problems in the future with anemia due to an unbalanced diet, I strongly suggest you consult with a board certified vet nutritionist instead of googling and winging it yourself. While I realize you had good intentions, it isn't easy to create a balanced diet using google. I too have had pups that I home cooked for...one who had renal failure for 4 /12 years. I cooked for him a diet by a vet nutritionist and he did remarkably well until the end did come. Eventually renal failure will get them.

6). I did not insinuate anything. Again, I stated facts....and honestly if you believe it is ok to circumvent laws and lie about things, you do concern me greatly. As for what kind of pet parent you are...the only way I would know is by doing a vet check which all rescues and breeders should do...and I don't mean asking a vet what they think of someone. I ask for details...I want to know exactly what a person has done or not done to care for their pups.

7). I don't use google for all of my knowledge. It can be informative and helpful, but there is a TON of misinformation on the internet. Links are one thing....but often you must look at the source...not just what they are saying. If you find the fact that we all have our own opinions insulting, that is your problem, not mine. I am not trying to insult anyone. My intent here is to voice what I believe to be truth.

Last edited by ladyjane; 03-30-2015 at 03:57 PM.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!