View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefromnj View Post
Last Tuesday night Maggie was running and playing, she ran into the family room chasing something and of course has to stop short or turn before she hits a chair. I don't know if she twisted or what she did, but she suddenly was walking with her left rear leg held up. She did this for about 15 minutes, gradually putting more weight on it. She never yelped, whined or shaked. We rubbed it a bit and no more running that night. She was fine until Saturday when we don't know if she stepped on something near the edge of the woods or what, but she started limping a bit again, for a very short time, about 20 feet? I picked her up and rubbed her foot in case she stepped on something. She might have limped a couple steps, but then was fine. Last night (sun) we were playing again and she did it again, for a moment.

It sounds like it could be lp. But just last fall the vet said her knees were good. She turns 5 this month.

Is it possible she just twisted in playing last week and is still just tweaking it now and then? She is not in pain, I know how she acts in pain and she is fine. She hurt her back last year and acted very strange. When the vet touched it she nipped. She has no reaction when I rub this leg. I don't want to put her through the vet because she hates it, it costs $, and I hate taking non-sick people or pets to places where there are more germs. If it is lp there is nothing they can do anyway at this point right?

She is fine right now. Her boyfriend has mild lp and often when he walks I see him sort of skip on the one side. He does it almost every walk. She has only done this these 3 times, all during or immediately after a run/sprint.

I have 2 rimadyl pills left from her back pain but I didn't give her them. I understand them to be aniti-inflammatory (nsaids)
Jumping from furniture and running and sliding and twisting can take "good knees" and pop them right out of place. They may have been great at last vet visit, but trauma can cause LP, especially in small, toy breeds. Tight knees and good muscles can be stretched and now, you are dealing with LP.

LP comes in grades and not every LP requires surgical intervention. Until it gets to a Grade 4 or the pup is experiencing continious pain with the LP, my vets treat this with anti-inflamatory medication, their favorite is Gly-co Flex...it comes in I, II, or III, depending on the severity of the issue...

I would take my pup to the vet and get the LP graded, then watch it...do not allow jumping from furniture and running with wild and crazy abandon....it will pop out again....and the more times it pops in and out, it wears the joint grooves down and the LP progresses to the next grade......this is so common with toy breeds, because of those tiny little joints.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!