View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariered View Post
My yorkie, Chewie, is almost 3 years old. I got him at 9 weeks (about) and had him potty trained in a decent amount of time. I also crate trained him as well. This was when I lived in an apartment alone.

About a year ago, I moved into my fiance's house. His mother also lives there. Pretty much immediately Chewie took up to peeing on things of my fiance's mother. He would pee in her bedroom, on her recliner, etc. Then he also took up peeing in the kitchen on the tile.

I think one of the main problems is that when Chewie would have an "accident" my fiance's mother would just leave it there for one of us to clean up. I have a feeling that her doing this has "untrained" him to a certain extent. I have read that the longer you leave the "accident" on the floor, it just tells the dog that it is okay to do this there.

I tried explaining this to her, but either she doesn't understand or care. To her it's not her dog, so she shouldn't have to clean up after him.

Any suggestions on what to do?!

You are going to need to go back to basics. When you are not home he is crated. When you are home - the Moms room is closed - and you can tether him to you.

Get a black light and using enzymatic cleaner - really clean up all those spots.

And just my two cents worth - it is your dog - your mother in law should not have to clean up after him. You are responsible for his good manners in the house.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!