View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #21
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I am truly so pleased and flattered

I used fat quarters for the waist band and ankle trim, the pre ruffled fabric was thirty dollars a yard but lilah is pretty small it was the only color they had (happened to be one of my favorites) and actually the sales rep said the had no pre gather fabric only trim! So I felt extra lucky to have found it.

The suspenders are a thicker cotton lace trim by the yard , the waistband is attached with Velcro and I sewed two buttons on the Velcro and two buttons on the back so that suspenders can be interchangeable. On the suspenders themselves I doubled over the end fabric and stitched buttonholes, I also stitched where the fabric crosses the body.

The pearl beads and embellishments were my favorite parts! I sewed on a small silver heart, strung the pearls and attached the other end with a small silver 'L' for lilah's name. I made the pattern out of a paper sack and I did make 'trial pants' to test out how I wanted to piece it all together and pin point sizing issues (lilah has a long body). I hand stitched it all together.

I have room for improvement on the suspenders and would like a more stretchy material. It bothered me to leave the edges of the ruffle fabric unhemmed because I want a more finished look. If I made them again, I think I would cut a matching satin liner, use fusing tape to hem the edges of that and then attach the ruffle bottom to the satin with fusible interfacing so that it was a little cleaner and crisper and also I like satin clothes for lilah to help keep her coat without tangles. If anyone decides To make pants too please share them! I had a lot of fun and plan on trying out more styles of pants we usually make dresses and who doesn't love a fabulous dress?! Our fave, but turns out pants can be fun and frilly too!

Last edited by Lilah Charm; 03-28-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Lilah Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!