View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #26
oneofakind864
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemini View Post
Don't telll anyone you heard it here-- but I told my attorney that if any hawk comes after my baby again, I will kill it and burying to China and no one will ever know!! So keep that in mind. Unfortunately and fortunately, too many people in my neighborhood saw the hawk attack and Cali fight so it could not be kept a secret -- and a lady in the neighborhood after hearing about Cali called the Fish and Wildlife folks and complained that her kitten went missing and now she thinks a hawk got them, so put more interest on my neighborhood at the time.

I''d kill that hawk in a Skinny SECOND and no one has to know. If all those people saw Cali and the hawk fighting- why was there even a question of who killed the hawk or why? Does that mean that "Fish and wildlife commission" actually believe or expect a family is going to stand by and watch a wild animal take their family pet because it happens to be on the " Endangered" or protected list? SERIOUSLY??? They need to stop smoking whatever they are on and wake up to reality.

I was out walking my 3 pound girl Chanel. and I heard the screech and looked up and a big hawk was coming down talons extended towards my little girl. I stepped in between her and the hawk and screamed at it " over MY DEAD BODY!" And that bird re-thought it's menu selection.

My husband later said that the hawk could have hurt me...and I said. "Yeah, it probably could have- but I WOULD!!! have KILLED it!" ( and if I had to serve jail time for it- so be it- But I can guarantee the media would have had it as front line news when I got done with it all. That said....

I know two people who have lost pets ( for sure) to hawks. One was a 4 pound rabbit that was allowed to play in the fenced yard they also thought 4 lbs was too heavy to be concerned about and ended up watching the hawk take it from their kitchen window. ( it was a big white rabbit) The other one had a 2.5 pound boston terrier puppy that was following right behind her as they were installing an electronic fence.( less than 6 feet away) The hawk came down and carried off the puppy right in front of her.( and she was screaming her head off too) I know they say a hawk can't carry off a dog weighing more than 4 pounds. But trust me- birds don't have "Scales"to determine weight and they will often go after prey that weighs 7 or 8 pounds- especially if they are planning on dining right there rather than "Take it elsewhere". They don't have to "Carry it off" to severely injure or kill a small dog as Cali's owners found out. And I hate hearing stories like this especially when most people don't even think about a "Bird" being able to carry off a small dog. The fact Cali's owner posted is a good thing. It helps raise awareness about the possibility. So NEVER let your dog under 10 pounds play outside in a large area alone. Also..predators are fast. Don't believe your dog is safe just because they are only a few feet away. My other neighbor was walking her 5 pound dog on a harness leash. The dog was behind her and a hawk came down and tried to grab the dog. She yanked the dog away from the bird with the leash and saved him from being punctured with the talons. But it is a lesson learned. This also happened to a girl in front of us on a trail in Tahoe. A Coyote ran out onto the path grabbed her dog( I think it was a maltese) and took off. The dog was within 5 feet of her and it happened so fast there was nothing any of us could do. The underbrush was so tangled no one could follow. That little dogs screams haunt my nightmares! But had the dog been on a leash- she could have prevented the coyote from taking it away.

Another interesting thing I heard is that hawks need a large area to swoop down and take off again. I was told a small fence enclosed back yard (like less that 12 feet) is small enough to prevent a hawk from being able to dive and elevate properly. I'm not going to test the theory but that does make sense. But even then... owls don't have a problem with small areas. And also remember...many yorkies are smaller than CATS. And a cat can decide your pet resembles a mouse and do just as much damage as a wild animal.

Bottom line is it's better safe than sorry. Never allow your yorkie outside without a leash unless they are 10 pounds. Oh...and any animal predator that tries to snack on a member of MY family...much less one that costs thousands of dollars, will find themselves fertilizing my garden. (endangered list or not!)

And to yorkiemini..I am SOOO SOOOOO glad to hear that your baby survived and seems to be back in the swing of things. God bless " SIRI" and your unflinching willingness to hit the vet without worrying about shoes, and proper attire. You saved your little baby's life. I woulda been running to the vet in my underwear if it would have saved my little one ( granted everyone who saw me probably woulda gone blind-LOL) But I would not have cared. Kudos to you and congratulations on your rapid reponse~
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!