View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #5
barneysmommmy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Have you asked the breeder to keep the pup until 12 weeks? You need to prepare yourself that if this breeder skip a step reputable breeders do that I'm sure they skipped other steps so genetic illnesses could pop up. I would look into getting a pet insurence that covers genetic issues right away. I would also prepare for social issues and bitting issues and really there is no way to guard against them and make them not happen other then leaving the pup with mom. You also need to prepare for hypoglycemia and have nutrical on hand for that. At this age the pup should eat every couple of hours and not be left alone for more then an hour or two. The pup will need to go to your vet within 48 hours or so for a vet check. If the pup was given any shots before 8 weeks they are useless. If there becomes issues of diarrhea and or vomiting waiting to long with a small pup can be dangerous because they can dehydrate quickly so make sure you have the number and address of a regular vet and emergency vet kept someone easy to get to. Also until two weeks after the pups last set of shots don't take them to areas where other dogs or wild life have been.
This is great advice. I want to second Taylor's advice about not taking this puppy out until after it's had it's vaccinations. Don't even let it go out in your own yard. I brought Barney home at 10.5 weeks and let him go out in my back yard where I think he got giardia. It took weeks for him to get better. Even at 10.5 weeks and nearly 3 pounds, he was susceptible to so many things.

Another thing, I would get a good book that explains yorkie development week by week, that will help you to know when to expect certain behaviors and how to properly eliminate bad behaviors. Good luck and congratulations on getting a new puppy. Mine have all brought me so much joy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!