Thread: Antlers
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

i don't believe Cody's prev. owner ever gave him anything to chew on, reason I say this is because, after reading many members giving their dogs bully sticks and how much their dogs loved them, I had never heard of them. With my passed girls I always gave them hooves, pig ears,pig snouts, and years back raw hide chews. After my cousins Poodle swallowed a fair size piece of raw hide and needed to be operated on to remove it there were no more rawhide given to my dogs. Then I read an article on pig ears and snouts greasy, oily can cause Pancreatitis or if the have Pancreatits will aggravate it, so n o more pig ears or snouts. So I bought Cody a bully stick, OMG, he went to town on that, 3 1/2 hours straight he chewed on it till it was down to 4 inches. I had to lure him away from it, if I got near him he would growl, when I lured him away I threw the 4 inches out. I went to my local animal feed store and got him a braided bully stick and an antler. I figured him never having anything to chew on he would jump on the antler, not so, he turned his nose up, I gave him the braided bully stick and he started on that, finished that off in 2 days, it was 12 inches long. I got him 2 more from the feed store, gave him one, he has had it for 2 weeks now, he'll chew on it, plays with it, and no more growling at me if I am near him, he knows no one is going to take his chew away from him. So the point here is, if a dog that never had anything to chew on refuses an antler it can't be all that good, my Cody is not a fussy boy, he will eat anything, yet he wants no part of antler. It is still in his toy box, he has never taken it. I also got him a hoof, it took a few days before he decided to give that a try, the hoof he'll chew on once in a while, I just wanted to get him a variety of thing to chew on for him to learn,it will not be taken away from him. So no more antlers.

Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!