View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 AM   #1
Tardis yorkie13
Yorkie Yakker

Angry feeding treats designed to help 'senior dogs' make younger ones get cancer?

ok so again with the food and treat talks, more of a rant about people not knowing about pets working in pet stores :/

so in the store today i was looking at foods and treats when this, (ahem) young woman who works at the petstore (who looks waaaaaay to young to be working and from listing to her talk to other customers knows little to nothing about actually caring for animals) walks up to me and gets my attention.

i was looking at some training treats. some low cal, tiny chewy treat that i was thinking would be the perfect size for a yorkie and not too hard for their teeth for training my puppy.

on the package it says something along the lines of 'enhanced with this vitamin and something or other added to help senior dog digestion and healthier coats"

so anyway- she walks up to , gets my attention and without even asking me what age my dog i might have been getting them for was , just leans over me and in a condescending tone says

' you know, giving dogs and puppies foods and treats with vitamins and chemicals designed for older dogs before they are old or need them will give them caner and make them sick. it really shortens their life span. you should be more responsible and read the labels better." - than just walked away. (probably to go harass someone else who didn't ask for her opinion!)

I was sooo mad that i just left the store, (before i went and said something creative to her face in front of her manager. )

urgh! people like that just rub me the wrong way! ignorant and misinformed, and condescending are certainly NOT personalty traits they should be looking for in employees that are supposed to be helping us find and care for our companions :/

anyway, in all my years raising,caring for and training dogs i have never found this info to be true. and yes certain chemicals you need to look out for are in just about everything but they are no more or less harmful to the dog at any age :/ and varies depending on breed and other health issues of your pet.

but giving a dog a treat designed to have extra vitamin c to help with coat health, when the puppy doesn't need more vitamin c , doesn't mean he or she is suddenly going to develop 8 types of cancer over night and dye :/

anyway , i honestly believe they should have better screening for pet shop employees. most of the pet health related horror stories i hear are from people being misinformed or giving just plain ridiculous advice/information from an employee who honestly knew little to nothing about the pet or food or toy ectra... and the owner didn't do their own research to see whats what. so in the process a poor animal had to get hurt for people to learn a lesson :/

anyhow. yeah rantness. she upset me. i think only people who know about animals should work with animals, their lives are too precious and fragile to put in the hands of people who don't care that by giving out wrong information- you could be endangering a life.
Tardis yorkie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!