View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 AM   #6
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Ok I see what you are working with. You only have the door a day or so, I would keep up the treat reward, he is Leary of the door, but you are getting him through it, spend a few minutes several times a day with the training, he'll get it. I had a pup that would not enter a room if the door was open 1/2 way, I had another dog that would enter a room if the was opened a crack, she would push it open with her nose lol, but not the little one. When I had the screen door doggie door made I swore my oldest one would not use it, I was amazed when I saw her follow her sister through, thing was, my little one was the oldest of the two, she was 9 y/o weighed 9 lbs, the youngest was 5 y/o weighed 17 lbs, the older one was madly in love with the younger one, she had to be where ever the young one was, she put her fears of closed door aside just to be with her sister, They were inseparable, so getting the older one to go through the doggie door was never a problem. I would continue with the training and reward,some pups take longer then others to train certain things, patience lots of short training sessions with treats and lots of praise, happy dance, clap hands, he will get it. I am sure others will be along to offer their advise and suggestions. Please keep us up dated on Griffy's progress. remember patience is the key word.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!