View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Interesting...why is it, do you think, that BRTs are so great w/ training and yorkies are so, well, yorkish about it? Is it just something about yorkies?

Actually yes I think so. Remember the Yorkie breed and the BRT breed were bred for very different purposes. Blackies since their inception to guard and protect humans - and that skill was chosen for in all the progenitors of this breed. Yorkies origin and purpose has a few different viewpoints, but if they in history were bred for ratting, that is not a purpose with a very close human interaction. Today very very few breeders are breeding Yorkies for their working ability, and over time that does get watered down or even lost. Our Blackies for the most part of their young history are still being bred for their working ability.

Oh and just a footnote on the BRT history - they were bred for a working guard and military dog. They failed at it! And finally the REd Star Kennel allowed public breeders to breed these dogs. They failed because they were handler focussed and worked best for that human they chose - not so much with any other soldier or guard. Apparently this trait could not be bred out of them. They are this way today. They will select one member of the family to bond with the closest tie, the others are fine as far as the Blackie is concerned, but one person is their hearts chosen.

I think our Yorkies just need more time and focus to train. Afterall look what more than a few members of our forum have done. YorkieTalkJilly, LovestoDream, Salazark to name just a few. I apologize if I have skipped some folks (and I know I have),, but these three are in my recent memory.

What I have noticed with my Razzle is that it took him a lot lot longer to develop focus, and focus on the human is key for training. Now this could be just him, IDK.

Some of it could be the wee factor and the cuteness factor. YTès have both in spades! So owners are not as rigorous as say an owner of a BRT would be.

Anyhoo just my non scientific based thoughts on this :-)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!