View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 03:50 AM   #10
Corfield
Yorkie Yakker

My primary source (which I can get my hands on) is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Bitch-J-M-Evans/dp/18...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Bitch-J-M-Evans/dp/18...

Page 119 of 2002 edition

"the pups can go to new homes at the optimum time for adjustment, around seven weeks old. waiting until eight weeks takes them into the sensitive period when major changes and upsets are not advisable. Puppies as young as seven weeks bond with their owners very well and take changes more easily than an older puppy."

There is no citing of a study.

At this point I can't put my hands on other reading I did a few years ago re guide and police dog training but I will keep looking.

In fairness to your Source 3

Which says

""One write up I found suggested that toy pups should actually stay with their mothers until 14-16 weeks of age because they mature slowly and will learn better skills staying as a family until this age.

Notwithstanding the weakness of the source there is certainly a widely held opinion that toy breeds require special treatment over other breeds on this subject. "

Without good evidence that this is valid we are left with a special pleading fallacy that seeks to treat homing toy breed puppies as an exception to the rule which is not born out by my source above that clearly makes no distinction between breeds.

If anyone has sources of evidence that deal with the differences between "toy" or even Yorkshire terriers and other breeds in respect of their development generally or their development as puppies to adult. It would be very intetesting.

I would reiterate what I originally said which is that there seem to be some valid arguments on both side of the what age should a puppy leave for a new home (optimally). In my experience there are more people ready to openly condemn breeders (and owners) that release (obtained ) their puppy below 8 weeks when there should be a very clear distinction between 0-6 weeks and 7 weeks above where the real debate and uncertainty lies.
Corfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!