View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Default Avagard antiseptic on Yorkie skin?

Any science brains out there? I'm wondering if the Avagard antiseptic that is available for hand cleansing poses any danger if applied to a Yorkie's fur? The active ingredient is Ethyl Alcohol, and it dries quickly.

I ask because I have two therapy dogs, and one of the requirements from the hospital where we volunteer is to have people "gel in and gel out" when petting the dogs. In a hospital setting, I'm a firm believer in that practice. It not only protects them, it protects my dogs.

The problem comes when people rush up and pet the dogs before I can get them to gel. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. The hospital's advice is for me to rub a little Avagard on their fur after the visit in order to protect both the dog and the next people to pet them. They suggest putting some on my hands and just rubbing my fingers through their hair.

Even though it's designed to use on human skin, there's something about Ethyl Alcohol that scares me. It just doesn't SEEM right to be putting it on my dog's fur even though I put it on my own hands. Even though it dries right away, I worry about them licking later in the day and getting something bad in their system.

I'm really hoping to hear from someone who can send me a link or cite some existing science that says it's either not going to harm them or has the potential to harm them.

Thanks!

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 03-13-2015 at 12:08 PM.
alaskayorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!