View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTeddykins View Post
He's 15 months old and I was going to neuter him (as per the standard advice) but the breeder said she wouldn't neuter him until three years old for various reasons. Recently, the vet told me there was no real reason to neuter unless he was marking which I thought he was not at the time! But, even so, he said neutering won't guarantee the behavior will stop sooooooooo I have tried using cognitive behavioral therapy on him hahaha.

We sit by the fireside and discuss his urges and healthy ways to resist those urges. It's bonding.
I disagree about waiting to neuter and think you've been given poor advice. You love your vet, but I would be finding a new one and having the new vet neuter him immediately. There is simply no legitimate reason with today's anesthetics and appropriate protocols to avoid neutering an animal that is 4 lbs.

After neutering him, I would feed on a schedule and take water up and give it at certain times. Allow him to drink as much as he wants when you offer water, but don't leave the bowl down. Try for timed bathroom schedules and put him in the crate or in a small area when he is unattended. Correct any inappropriate marking when you see it happening. I would also avoid the use of chemical cleaners which will set the urine like rug doc stuff. I would soak the area with nature's miracle and let it dry completely. You need to use alot of it to soak padding under carpet. Tile surfaces, I would leave slightly wet to air dry.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!