View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
KellyV
YT 500 Club Member

I don't think the breeder was necessarily lying about being up to date on shots. Puppy shots include several rounds of vaccinations given at certain time periods. He probably was up to date when you got him, but now is due for a couple more. Personally, I don't let my vet give more than one shot at a time, these are small dogs and that's a lot for their little systems to handle at once!

The vet's knee assessment bothers me. If he has luxating patellas this early on, it could progress and cause incredible pain at an early age. Did you get any kind of health guarantee? I think this normally qualifies as a genetic condition and depending on how the health guarantee reads, you may be entitled to a refund (but it may also require you return the puppy!) You'll have to be VERY careful with him and try not to let him jump off of anything. One wrong landing could mean surgery to fix something....

I'll try to answer your other questions as best as I can....

1. Personally, I'd stick with the Innova. IMO, it's a better food. The vet may be receiving some kind of deal/kickback for pushing the Eukanuba. Plus, their information regarding canine nutrition is often received right from the food manufacturers.... And what manufacturer isn't going to say their food is the best?

2. If you want to chunk him up a bit (but not too much! Being overweight is just as bad as being underweight!)... Give him all the food he wants. Give him a bit of Nutrical/Nutristat once or twice a day, which is a high calorie paste that contains all kinds of essential vitamins. Give him healthy treats but in reasonable quanitites. Snacks shouldn't make up the bulk of his diet. There's tons of suggestions for good treats on YT, do a search.

3. Giving him a better quality food without corn and other fillers can help the dry skin. Use a moisturizing shampoo (oatmeal varities work well) and conditioner. You could use different supplements... There's a ton of different vitamin tabs, liquids or powders you could give your pup. I've just started using Missing Link, which is a powder you put on their food.

4. I don't use any specific kind of ear cleaner. Just whatever was at the pet store. Keeping the ear canal free of excess hair and drying the ears with a soft towel after baths will help prevent any problems. Just don't stick anything (Q-tips or whatever) too far in there, you don't want to risk damaging his ear drums.

I hope other more experience Yorkie folks answer your questions too... I certainly don't know everything and am still learning myself!

Welcome to YT! We're all glad you joined. This forum is full of wonderful, knowledgable yorkie addicts and I'm sure you'll have no problems getting any answers you need!
KellyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!