View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default A Lovely Video of great obedience work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa87...P6MVF2k7rbKKVV

The breed is black Russian Terrier. As everything is in Russian I can't tell you what it says - but it looks like each skill is marked out of 10. The obedience work skills look a little different to the Canadian and American Obedience testing - but still comparable. On recalls and retrieves we have the dog return to Front then heel around to left side. It looks like this is somewhere in between our CDX and Utility Dog level of competition.

For those not in the know - Obedience Trials have increasing levels of difficulty. The very very first mini level is Canine Good Neighbour or Good Citizen - title changes between USA and Canada. The first official Obedience Title is CD or Companion Dog - then CDX or Companion Dog Excellent - then Utility Dog - then OTCH - Obedience Trial Champion. You are scored out of 200 points.

Once past CD level all skills are shown off lead. You get points deductions for a number of things - slow responses - improper heel position (lagging, leading, too far away from handler), failure to perform skill - ie did not retrieve or return - inattention of dog to handler - poor sits - repeat commands - handler errors -

The examiners use cards instead of silent hand signals to communicate with the exhibitor.

Here once you go to CDX you can use Either Hand Signals or Voice commands not both - at CD level you can use both but they must be used together otherwise it will count as a double command.

In our society with our leash laws it is very difficult I find to practice outside off lead as our dogs are supposed to be on lead all the time. . . ..

I have to sneak around to do the off lead work. Find a slow time of day, an isolated spot and do the work. The true test of a dog off lead obedience is to do it anywhere, boats, city streets, water, etc etc.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!