View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #410
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I have no belief one way or the other, other than a tantalizing research paper on hormone effect on maturation of ligamentous structures. But it is possible.... More research is needed. And why not when a very expensive and debillating condition affecting over 30% of the breed might be or not be affected by delaying a bit in timing of s+n?

What am I saying is only this- to look at the research, make an informed decision. I as I have yet exhaustively said on this thread for FEMALE Yorkies the specific research is sparse but other research in the main on medium to large breed dogs - do show an increased risk of pyrometra for *unbred females* and an increase for all Mammary Tumours - of which 50% are benign. And let us not forget that even with MT cancer it does have a high cure rate. The timing of spay is what I question for females. For yorkies we don't have a suggestion towards the answer. What if I delay spaying a female by 6mths how would it negatively impact her health? How would it benefit her health?

This as far as I am aware for s+n all breeds of dogs at 6 months old whether male or female, has no hallmark scientific studies to justify
this decision.
Ok so 30% is a big deal when talking about ligament tears but not when talking about cancer, mammary tumors, or poymentra? Scratching my head on this one for sure. Whether a tumor is cancer or not it means surgery and recovery. It means pain and has risks with it. Many dogs shut down and get very depressed when recovering from surgery and it is a huge deal. Cancer would just make it an even bigger deal. I have watched several family members fight cancer most of them doing everything possible to beat it and stay alive and most of them dying from it. If I can prevent even just a 5% chance of cancer I will do it! This is not something proven but one thing I have noticed is once you get cancer even if it goes into remission it normally comes back and or spreads and it is normally what ends up killing you. I'm not willing to take that chance an put my beloved heart beat at my feet through that. Maybe it makes a difference if have watched many suffer and die from cancer and or suffered it yourself. Then you know any single thing even the tiniest thing you can do to prevent it is something you want to do.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!