View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #409
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I don't believe for one minute that science will ever say that early s/n has an effect on yorkies with regards to torn CCLs.

For NOW it is proven that there is a risk of mammary tumors and pyometra .. and we all know that MOST pet owners are not equipped to deal with multiple unaltered pets. SO....my belief is the risk of those cancers far outweigh unknown/unproven benefits. Same for oopsie pregnancies. For the life of me, I don't understand how you can keep on saying this unless it just fits some agenda you have? It surely, in my opinion, is not what is best for the breed. In addition to horrible conditions they end up with, yorkies have been SO adversely affected by indiscriminate breeding.

I have no belief one way or the other, other than a tantalizing research paper on hormone effect on maturation of ligamentous structures. But it is possible.... More research is needed. And why not when a very expensive and debillating condition affecting over 30% of the breed might be or not be affected by delaying a bit in timing of s+n?

What am I saying is only this- to look at the research, make an informed decision. I as I have yet exhaustively said on this thread for FEMALE Yorkies the specific research is sparse but other research in the main on medium to large breed dogs - do show an increased risk of pyrometra for *unbred females* and an increase for all Mammary Tumours - of which 50% are benign. And let us not forget that even with MT cancer it does have a high cure rate. The timing of spay is what I question for females. For yorkies we don't have a suggestion towards the answer. What if I delay spaying a female by 6mths how would it negatively impact her health? How would it benefit her health?

This as far as I am aware for s+n all breeds of dogs at 6 months old whether male or female, has no hallmark scientific studies to justify
this decision.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!