View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #408
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Then Taylor you have not been reading the research, for certain breeds of dogs, there are very serious risks associated with spaying and neutering at or even earlier than 6 months old. For the Yorkshire Terrier other than one or two studies pointing towards hypothyroidism as an increased risk in s+n males n females, and of course spay incontinence, and one tantalizing research paper that looks at the hormonal impact on proper maturation of ligamentous structures - like the ACL, for female Yorkies at this point in time most pet females IMO should be spayed for their overall health - the key is when? Can we wait a little for growth plate closure and ligamentous tissue maturation? Would that help in the incidence rate of LP and ACL tears, and is decidedly rampant throughout our breed, and as you know is very painfull and also expensive to treat? Would the relatively small increase in Mammary Tumours of which 50% are benign offset the potentiality of reducing LP and ACL tears? Interesting question is it not?

At this early age say 1yr old or so - pyrometra is very very rare, so baring other research that might come out later, we just need to look at mammary increased cancer risk, and also avoiding urinary incontenience, and temperament changes, ACL tears medial luxating patellas as possible benefits to delaying spaying for a bit in time.

The Swedish study did not offer us any elucidation because as opposed to North American studies the bulk of the participants were intact. And god only knows why they only looked at two health problems - that to me is an interesting detail...

The decision you make as a pet owner I would like to see be well informed. Folks who are dedicated enough to slog through this huge thread, and read the research, are searching for informed answers.

The more information we have, the more complex our decisions become, and they should be, when we talk about major surgery, and a major impact into a dogs life.
Hypothyroidism is genetic not because of spaying. I have only heard of one time of a dog ever having issues of incontinence for early spaying and it couldn't be proven to be the cause and is pretty rare. A lot of older dogs become incontinent but that's not due to early spaying it is due to getting older. Both my Grandparents have incontinence issues neither has been spayed or neutered. The study's which hardly prove anything have been done on larger dogs and there is a huge difference between larger dogs and smaller dogs. While I agree to young could be an issue to young for me and most of the studies I have read say before 6 months is considered to young and that after that is fine. The growth plates still close even after the dog has been fixed.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!