View Single Post
Old 03-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #407
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
You do the tubal ligation as a stopgap measure to allow the hormones to course through particularly large breed dogs, then you do a full OVE,

They are no-where near 100%. A very large percentage under that Phil. And what if the chance of hemangiosarcomas was increased 50% for this breed if you spayed? The number one leading cause of death for certain breeds??? And that chance is one in five dogs get it????

A deadly cancer as opposed to MT even if the MT's are cancerous?

For the Yorkshire Terrier much is still needed to be known.
Hi, I said the chances of MT's and pyometra are NOT 100%. I can't remember who I was arguing with when I said that--I got distracted by all the talk of plantains and ceviche . And I agree that the issues are different for large breed dogs that have a different set of prevalent diseases. But for Yorkies, the main health concerns are mammary tumors and pyometra in unspayed dogs, and a possibility of CCL tears *if* the spaying is done before growth plates close. I remember discussing the article on CCL tears with you somewhere on Yorkietalk, and I think we concluded that for Yorkies, it's still best to spay before first heat, but not *too* early. My vet recommended 5 months for Bella, but I waited until 7 months for this very reason.

Male neutering has a completely different set of pros and cons, and the data are much more nebulous (except from a population control and behavioral standpoint).
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!