Thread: Evans Syndrome?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #5
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

I did some really quick research and found this info:

Any breed of dog can be infected with Evan's disease, but some breeds are more likely to contract it. These breeds include Cocker Spaniels, Scottish Terriers and Poodles. Evan's disease seems to affect more female dogs than males, and there seems to be a predisposition towards dogs under the age of six. Dogs affected with Evan's disease will be lethargic and will sleep excessively. Symptoms can also include anorexia, jaundiced (yellow) skin, vomiting. Excessive panting and respiratory problems may also occur. These symptoms are caused by the dog's immune system attacking his own red blood cells, which reduces the amount of oxygen and iron being carried throughout his body.
It is primarily diagnosed as a disease of exclusion; that is, following multiple tests being done to rule out other causes of anemia, Evan's disease will be suspected.

The cause of Evan's disease is currently unknown. There is speculation that it is genetic, but no one knows for sure. Evan's disease sometimes seems to be triggered by outside influences such as parasites, but that is not always the case. It occasionally occurs in connection with vaccinations, bee stings, exposure to natural toxins such as onions, or various cancers. Evan's disease is most commonly treated using prednisone, a type of corticosteroid. Other treatments include acupuncture, diet adjustment and a variety of herbal remedies. Dogs with severe anemia will sometimes need a blood transfusion. Blood transfusions are temporary solutions designed to stabilize the dog while other solutions can be researched.

No cure exists for Evan's disease. Some dogs do fine with treatment, while others continue to fail. There is no way to determine which dogs will thrive with which treatment. Expect to return to the vet on a regular basis for blood tests to determine if the anemia is reoccurring. Even if the Evan's disease is held under control, the dog's immune system will be compromised. It is important to keep a watchful eye on the dog to catch any other problems that may develop because of a weak immune system.

How to Raise Low Platelet Count in Dogs
Low platelet counts in dogs, also called thrombocytopenia, is an extremely dangerous condition. Platelets are blood cells that promote clotting after an injury to the blood lining occurs. When the concentration of platelets is low, bruising and spontaneous bleeding can occur. How to raise the low platelet count depends on what is causing the condition.
*Visit a veterinarian so that he can perform diagnostic testing to determine what condition is causing your dog's low platelet count.
*Administer antibiotics, if the low platelet count is due to an infection. Tetracyclines are most commonly prescribed because of their effectiveness against bacterial agents called rickettsia, which can cause thrombocytopenia.
*Give your dog corticosteriods if the thrombocytopenia is caused by an immune-related problem. These drugs typically stop the immune system from destroying platelets.
*Perform a blood transfusion, if the platelets are extremely low and your dog's life is in danger because of it.

I had suggested Epoetin (I misspelled it in other post)....I dont even know if this can be given to dogs, we used it on our patients in ICU when I worked in the hospital.....I would ask about its usefullness in treating anemia in your baby!

GENERIC NAME: epoetin alfa
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Epoetin alfa is a man-made, injectable drug for treating anemia. Erythropoietin is a protein that normally is made in the body by the kidney. It causes the bone marrow to produce oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Under normal conditions, when the body senses a decrease in red blood cells or a deficiency in the supply of oxygen, more erythropoietin is produced, and this increases the number of red blood cells. When this natural mechanism is not working, it may become necessary to stimulate the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. The erythropoietin that is used for therapy, called epoetin alfa, is man-made. It is a product of the genetic engineering of ovarian cells of the Chinese hamster and is produced through recombinant DNA technology in bacteria. It does not cure the underlying cause of the anemia, and unless the underlying cause can be reversed, treatment with epoetin alfa must be continued indefinitely.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!