View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #12
KazzyK810
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
So for me ime I've had little dogs or Yorkies for over20yrs. They all lived to an old age . Except one. My first Yorkie. I had ~$2k in Vet bills other then checkups/maintenance. Back then insurance was pretty expensive. So it would have cost more. Now unless its comes down in price I've seen it starting at `$20 month per Dog with a $200yr deductible. 5% off checkups .. So if I got Moki insurance when he was a pup. That would have been $720 outta my pocket so far. To me the value would only be if he was in an accident. But if i take all my other previous dogs I would have spent easily over $10k and not have used it. With the current rates. It maybe good if something happens and you would not be able to cover the cost. Or younger dogs. But as the dog gets older the value of insurance goes down versus premiums paid. Unless it can be had for cheaper? And insurance has gotten better. Wasn't so good when I was in the market. But I will just pay for the Vet. For me its the better option in my mind. JMO
I hold the same view.

All Insurance companies are in business to make money. The way they do that is to take in more than they pay out. If i look at all my insurance premiums over the years, on every single policy i've ever had, (car, homeowners, medical, etc) I have paid out more than I have received back.

Personally, I would choose to put money aside each month into an account for my dog rather than insure. Fortunately, a few years ago i sold a much bigger, more expensive home and downsized to a tiny home, when both my kids went away to college. I took some cash from that sale and put it into an account for ZoE. It will not only cover her medical bills, but it will also cover her maintenance costs should anything happen to me, and my daughter gets ZoE. I didn't want my kids burdened with the cost of her care, and at that time didn't know how they'd be financially in the future. Fortunately, they both graduated college and have fantastic jobs and could easily afford to care for ZoE, but I still don't feel it's their responsibility to pay for the costs of a dog they didn't choose to have.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!