View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
So for me ime I've had little dogs or Yorkies for over20yrs. They all lived to an old age . Except one. My first Yorkie. I had ~$2k in Vet bills other then checkups/maintenance. Back then insurance was pretty expensive. So it would have cost more. Now unless its comes down in price I've seen it starting at `$20 month per Dog with a $200yr deductible. 5% off checkups .. So if I got Moki insurance when he was a pup. That would have been $720 outta my pocket so far. To me the value would only be if he was in an accident. But if i take all my other previous dogs I would have spent easily over $10k and not have used it. With the current rates. It maybe good if something happens and you would not be able to cover the cost. Or younger dogs. But as the dog gets older the value of insurance goes down versus premiums paid. Unless it can be had for cheaper? And insurance has gotten better. Wasn't so good when I was in the market. But I will just pay for the Vet. For me its the better option in my mind. JMO
I was the same way and was against insurance but with the newer pacjages, I decided it was worth it.. My dog winston is almost 4. His premium is $122/yr for $10,000 annual coverage with a $1,000 deductible. I also purchased a wellness package that gives me $100 extra for wellness spending. So when I take the $100 and offset the cost of the premium, I'm paying basically $22 a year. Even if they premium goes up the every year by 15%, I still will definitely cash out if he does get ill. And I disagree about the value of insurance going down with age - it goes down with pre-existing conditions not age. I just added my 14.5 year old to my policy, and one new issue will make it worthwhile. I asked for a medical underwriting to see what was excluded and there are still any number of possibilities that could occur to make it worthwhile. I've had weird things happen to my dogs. Hey if I lose out on the older one, it's basically not losing more than a night out at a moderately priced restaurant for dinner.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!