View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
JadeD
YT 1000 Club Member

I don't let my Yorkie outside alone, but then I don't let the 80 lb dog out alone either because we don't have a fence so they are on leashes. However, I love for people to pet and hold my Yorkie. He loves people and he adores the attention they give him. The big dog is stuck at the house all day but my Yorkie gets to go almost everywhere with me.

I am protective when another dog comes around. We have a neighbor that has a huge lab that has attacked me on a few occasions. He claims that because it is a "service" dog it is friendly. That is not a friendly dog. He has an underground fence but he doesn't like to put the shock collar on the dog because it hurts him when he gets shocked by it. The dog comes into my yard and attacks me if I don't have my big dog with me. My big dog will defend me (he has done it a few times) when that dog tries to approach me so if my dog is with me that dog will not try to come near me anymore, but if I alone he will charge at me. So, when we walk by the neighbors house I have my big dog closest to his yard with my Yorkie between us and I am ready to scoop up the Yorkie. It is only 2 houses from mine so to go anywhere I have to walk by there. I am very protective of the Yorkie around that dog because I know what the dog can be like. I once came home and that dog was on MY front porch. I told it to go home and tried to go in the house and he charged at me growling. I went to my car and started to dial the police but before I could he ran home so I went in my house and called my husband who went down to the guys house after work to tell him to keep his dog on his property. We have leash laws in this town that dogs must be kept on a leash but because the guy is friends with the cops they don't enforce it. The mailman has to cross the street to get by his house if the dog is outside because it attacks him too. My dogs love the mailman and if we are outside the mailman will stop and pet both my dogs. My big dog is not socialized around other dogs enough, but I keep bringing dogs into my house to get him more socialized, but in public the big dog acts like an idiot and barks like crazy and scares the other dog. He is not like that in the house though. However, he is socialized with people and loves people even toddlers. I have had toddlers just about hanging on him and he is happy.

So, except when another dog is involved I am not that over protective of my yorkie I guess. I would not let another dog near him and I would attack a dog that tried to hurt him.

I have looked at that neighbors dog before and flat out told the dog that I would take him down if he tried to hurt us. I think he recognizes the tone in my voice that I am serious. I will stare right at him and dare him to bite me. He will eventually back down and look away. I just wish the neighbor would follow the laws and either tie him up or put his stupid shock collar on him so he can't get to the sidewalk and then wander wherever he wants to go. He pees on all our expensive plants and ruins them too, where I tell my dogs where they can pee.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!