View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
sundetde1987
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default My 2 year old Yorkie is very very sick. Anybody have any thoughts on her condition?

My Yorkie, Bailey, is 2 years old and very anemic. After spending $840 in vet bills yesterday I see no positive results.

Bailey really doesn't have any diagnosis because the ultrasound and surgery cost so much more money. The 2nd vet I went to last night at the ER impressed me very much and was very awesome to talk to about the situation. She thinks bailey has a spleen issue, but she is not ruling out cancer either. Her white blood cell count is slightly raised, but not high enough to be a severe bacterial infection. The issue is her anemic state. Her red blood cell count is so low that she borderline needs a transfusion.

The doctor gave me a few possible outcomes:
#1) $300 ultrasound and $1,000+ spleen extraction operation and possible blood transfusion and maybe Bailey will recover.
#2) ultrasound and surgery and find out that bailey has cancer, then everything changes and gets more expensive.
#3) Bailey's spleen issue could be the result of a virus coming from a mosquito, flea, or tick. If her blood is toxic then she will need blood transfusions for her entire life.

At this point, Bailey is still eating, having regular bowel movements, and shows no sign of pain. I took her home and will monitor her health. When I see that she is suffering and has zero energy, I will have her put to sleep. I bought a bag of beef livers last night to feed her. I read that it is a recommended source for iron and a good home remedy for anemia, maybe it will kick start her red blood cell count a little bit, but I don't think Bailey will have any major recovery. Her energy is much lower than usual, but her appetite and H20 consumption is normal, she is moving around fine, is climbing the stairs, jumping on and off the bed, following our other dog around fine, and able to go in and out of the house for bowel movements.

I think Bailey is one tough little dog to be so active and yet anemic and so skinny. She is so bony right now that it is pretty sad and she is losing her fur really bad too. She could last another week or more or she could get even worse today, only time will tell.

My biggest source of confusion is her temperament in the face of such a low red blood cell count. The ER ruled out any liver complications from her blood work, but they don't want to prescribe antibiotics in fear that they could shut down an organ.
sundetde1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!