View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
JadeD
YT 1000 Club Member

I will teach all the basics first as that is the first step to trick training. I am hoping the new puppy will have the aptitude to learn lots of tricks.

My 9 year old Yorkie has the aptitude and the brains, but it is slow. He is an older dog and they are harder to teach new tricks to.

He knew sit when I got him. He knows beg and stand, but he uses them interchangeably when I say UP. I am trying to teach UP and BEG as separate things. He has almost learned HIGH 5 as well, but that is kind of hit or miss at this point. He will do it great one time and then not do it at all the next. Trying to teach him to be a BEAR is also within his talents as he does this on his own, but so far won't do it on command. I am working with him though. He is so sweet and so special.

I do hope the puppy has the aptitude for tricks though as I haven't had a good trick dog in years!

Teaching tricks after basic obedience is one of the best bonding experiences I have had with some of my dogs. My English Setter knows sit, stay and down and also TOUCH (come). He just has no desire to learn anything else. Oh, he also knows Leave it, one of the best commands to teach a dog. I taught it by putting a treat on the floor and telling him to take it. Then put another treat on the floor and fairly forcefully say Leave IT. If he tries to take it cup your hand over it and do not let him get it, all the while saying Leave it. After he gives up trying, most will sit or lay down then remove your hand and say Take it. Let him eat it and then do it again. Now, when I walk him I can tell him Leave it to any object and he will leave it. It is a great command to teach them at a young age. Also, give is a good thing. He does know give as well. He is one that likes to play fetch but if you try to take the toy from him he will bite your hand on accident while he tries to get a better grip on it. I will say give or drop and he will let me have the toy to throw again. Unfortunately he is a big slobbery dog and so after about 3 throws the toy is so nasty!

I can't wait to work with the smaller dogs and maybe a little less slobber.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!