View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
JadeD
YT 1000 Club Member

I have crate trained a few dogs, never a Yorkie, but they are probably all about the same as far as crating. I would put her in it and let her calm down and let her out after a bit. Then put her in it later and praise her and leave her in a while longer that the first time if she is calm. Some dogs don't mind a crate from the get go and she will sleep in it just fine. Some dogs hate crates right from the start. A good crate trained dog will go lay in there crate just to hang out or take a nap. Put a comfy blanket in it and throw treats in it without closing her in it. I had one dog I helped a friend train that would not go in the crate. I showed her the throwing treats in so he would go in. Then we had him go in and sit and gave him a treat and we just walked away (with the door open) so he could come out. Then we put him in it for just 1-2 minutes. By the end of the week she had him going and laying in his crate after I worked with him like that and she had a better idea of how to crate train him.

Good luck with the new one. I hope she adjusts to you quickly. My 9 year old Yorkie took to me immediately and loves being showered with love from me.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!