View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
leslieann79
Yorkie Yakker

Default She's got me running in circles.

Hi all. I'm looking for a little advice if you please. So we got our puppy February 4th. She's approximately 11 weeks now. She's a pleasure and I'm not frustrated in any way. I just want to make sure I'm not making things worse by trying to find whats best for her. When we brought her home we had her in a playpen with pee pad food and water and a bed. She would mostly go on the pad, but sometimes on the bed, or off the pad etc. Not a big deal to me as I wanted to pee pad train her and hated the idea of her having to hold her stuff at such a young age.

My husband says why is she special? Our other dogs go outside and so should she. He didn't really like the idea of a dog pottying inside. I said, ok I get that, its your house too. I started taking her outside to do her thing and she seemed to like it, and take to it pretty well. She still had accidents in the house but thats to be expected. So we set up a crate for her. She doesn't seem to like to be in the crate at any point during the day if I'm around. She whines and won't nap. Overnight she does not whine and I wake up twice to take her out. She usually pees and poops but she still always manages to at least pee in her crate! She does not seem happy with being crated. So we've been doing this for two week now. I feel like she's regressing and just peeing in the crate all the time. Doesn't matter if I just took her out or if she's in there an hour or three. So today I set up her playpen again and she seems to resting comfortably in there in the middle of the day so I can get a little housework done. I do not keep her crated much at all during the day because I'm home why should I? I do need time to do things around my home so I do put her in there occasionally. I take her out to potty very frequently during the day and usually have here tethered in whatever room I'm in so I can watch her.

So to make a super long story short my question is am I totally screwing her up by making all these changes trying to see what fits best? I plan on letting her live in her playpen at night for now. Would providing a pee pad at night totally ruin her outdoor training and confuse her? I read that you should not provide a pee pad while trying to outdoor train until they are solid on that. I don't know what else to do to keep her dry at night; other than getting up every hour. I've had to bathe her twice this week and I worry about dry skin. We are using Chris Christenson Happy Eyes 2in1 Shampoo. I just want her to be happy and for us to find balance. Any advice?

P.S. I feed her three times a day 6:30, 11:30 and usually around 4 or 5pm.
leslieann79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!